ONLINE COACHING - the new way to learn tennis!
Benefits and Advantages:
- Ability to keep a record of EVERYTHING you see, hear, and read.
- Proceed at your own pace - take breaks and pick up where you left off!
- EXTREMELY cost effective - 12 Months of weekly instruction supported by the very latest and extremely positive teaching and learning techniques!
- This service approaches online tennis education as a personal caring service meaning all video analysis is of you individually and NOT a generic model - email us on anything not quite understood.
- Input from Audio emails you can listen to on your smart phone or computer.
- New resource centre where we are compiling yours and other people's technical questions (with your permission) - with answers and solutions which we can all learn from! All this on Our BLOG - which is accessible from our Tennis Mason website.
- Videos of some of the best players in the world which will be available on our Facebook Tennis Mason page for you to study and observe for a better personal understanding.
- Add to all this our FREE NEWSLETTER with relevant short authoritative articles to help you understand and stimulate your learning skills.
The case for VIDEO ANALYSIS (Wayne Mason)
I have had 2 stand-out and indeed enlightening responses to my many queries of others regarding the usefulness of video analysis over the past 4 to 5 years:
In asking a nationally known Australian tennis coach if his organization used video analysis in day to day teaching I was taken aback with the following response – “Yes we do. We use our mobile phones but no, we do not keep a progress record and no, we do not include written explanations.”
The response from a parent of a pupil we ourselves taught and who I greatly respected for that parent’s dedication to supporting their child progress – “I have purchased a video camera that has a slow-motion feature. I play back all those shots in slow-motion and point out any problems requiring attention.”
I reached the following conclusions after many interviews and much questioning:
We are not making anywhere near the full use of this new technology.
Many do not fully understand the benefits to be gained with video analysis.
Some personal beliefs regarding Tennis Coaching:
- It is important NOT to overload the pupil with too much detail. Indeed, we should stick to basic principals that in themselves produce tangible results. Often I have heard a pupil exclaim that a result was felt immediately! Note that the new habit was not immediately formed – and could not be formed without repetition and the concentration so necessary to produce the change to the good habit. That said, the pupil experienced an improvement. To progress, pupils must be able to ‘feel the difference’ to be capable of practicing the new skill successfully and form the new habit. VIDEO ANALYSIS provides the best pathway to help pupils UNDERSTAND exactly what they are actually or currently doing and precisely how to change for a better result or outcome. It is a vital accessory - especially when in the hands of an experienced and knowledgeable professional!
- Think ‘as if’ is a useful teaching method. Please email me if you would like to know more on this subject or for that matter, on any subject regarding teaching – Click Here
- Allow pupils to reveal new truths themselves by using a guided discovery approach.
- While I agree that it is wise to ‘fix’ only that which is broken I also believe that further technical improvement can be realized, producing even stronger strokes and outstanding results. Again, this is a subjective decision and best left to the very experienced.
- We should only tackle technical faults which are evidence based and clearly show either a weakness in the production (evidenced by the outcome or result of the shot) or the pupil’s feel for the shot itself (eg "I have no power. It feels awkward/wrong!") The pupil MUST agree totally with the diagnosis and correction decided upon for the best outcome. If in doubt, the coach should make the decision on the best way to proceed with the pupil conceding by a ‘faith’ already gained in the coach – gained only by time, much experience and positive results of the past. For it is true to say that respect can only be earned in any relationship. Once earned by either party, or especially powerful if reciprocated by both, it is one of the greatest assets we can attain. It is a treasure for the one gaining but equally for the one giving it. All great coaches value it highly as an invaluable asset for successful teaching.
- Equally, assuming a shot was not an outright error and the ball made it to the opposite end of the court, it is imperative we study the shot that allows an opponent the opportunity to attack. (Now both technical and tactical aspects can be studied with Video Analysis.)
Some sayings I have learned and found to be true:
þ Great teachers have the capacity to stimulate others.
þ Great teachers love their craft.
þ Great teachers believe something like this, “I’ll show you to your seat – now it is up to you.” (I’ll point you in the right direction and be there as a sounding board and guide but to be really successful you must teach yourself - learn it for yourself in your own way! Then you will own it!)
þ Great teachers arouse and inspire and encourage people to “Now go look/search and you will find it yourself!”
þ You truly only learn things you teach yourself – Decide to learn!
þ You do not understand something until you can explain it to someone else so that they understand it!
þ Skill learning or acquiring a technical skill is 80% visual.
CONCLUSION: 2 Opportunities in the use of Video Analysis:
- Technical (how you hit the ball) self improvement
- Tactical (where you hit the ball) self improvement
OPPORTUNITY: 3 self improvement aspects using Video Analysis:
- Stroke analysis
- A 2nd opinion
- A Mentor
Video Analysis How we can help you help yourself.
þ Stroke analysis – With a ‘smart’ mobile phone have a parent or friend take a (10 to 15 second maximum) video of a stroke you are having trouble with. From your mobile email it to Wayne but call my mobile first to get my preferred email address or you may choose to sms/mms your video to 0414 692 600 +61414692600. Remember to have your mobile phone number showing with your text message or we will not know who is sending us the lovely 10-15 second video!!
If it is necessary to shoot the video from another angle or position we will advise you, depending on when we receive it and where we are when receiving it. There will be no extra cost for this service as it is necessary to have the appropriate video to work with. Wayne will personally analyze and send his considered opinion with visuals back to you (do not forget to include your name, email and mobile number with your video).
Full cost for 5 strokes to be analyzed is A$50 if paid in advance. Individual cost is $12 per stroke.
PLEASE NOTE that your first chosen stroke should be your 1st Serve taken from the side. (We consider the serve the most important stroke and one of the most difficult to master). You have up to 6 months to choose the remaining 4 strokes you wish to have analyzed or you may send all at the one time if you prefer.
We suggest you space each out and work on one at a time. You should discover that as you build and improve one shot, the following shots become a little easier and the intervals will become shorter also. Take your time and enjoy working on your shots with specific drills. As you improve you will gain more confidence. Your shots will become more stable and more reliable. When you are ready the additional pressure of match play cements the newly formed 'good' habit. (habits formed become automatic and reside in the sub-conscious, allowing you to now fully concentrate on tactics and strategy). You will begin to see a connection between all your shots – a kind of synergy. You feel as if everything is just flowing. Many good players refer to this as being 'in the zone'! It’s exciting!
þ A 2nd opinion
Many people seek a 2nd opinion on many things, especially if they feel they are making little headway. There can be numerous reasons for seeking a 2nd opinion. The bottom line is that whatever the outcome, you will either confirm what you are working on is correct and move ahead with more self-confidence with or without minor adjustments, or you will discover a better method – a new direction.
Email Wayne Click Here and explain your tennis concern. It may be technical or tactical or something else to do with tennis. You may wish to send a DVD. It is up to you but Wayne must form a clear picture of the problem or concern you have. We will get back to you – perhaps with questions or even a simple solution you may not have thought of.
Minimal cost is $10. Some 2nd opinions may require more time and effort and therefore cost more. However, you will be fully advised in advance of any cost above $10 for you to approve in advance - no surprises!
Please note, 2nd opinion concerns coaching and your personal tennis improvement and is NOT a tennis quiz – e.g. ‘who won what and when or where’ or to ask court dimensions or rules interpretation etc.
þ A Mentor – “a wise and trusted counsellor or teacher”
Please, this option is for the serious - either a truly dedicated mature Junior or Senior player who wishes to give it everything. That person IS committed! (What I refer to as a person who “comes to play!”)
You may be a beginner or a seasoned tournament player. Both types have a secure work ethic.
I have been there and have lived tennis, playing and teaching all my life – About Wayne and Jan tab.
A good Mentor is a person who can support and direct you. A good Mentor is one who knows that there are hurdles and problems to overcome and certainly one who knows how to stay the course! Most successful athletes and achievers of all types have Mentors.
MENTOR Job description for tennis:
- Someone who will provide ongoing feedback on your technique and tactical aspects.
- Someone who will oversee your physical training program and perhaps make suggestions. (Here I refer to tournament players - but you may be a serious adult seeking technical improvement only?)
- Someone who will provide assistance with the Goals you set and more importantly on how to realize them.
- Someone who will ‘keep you honest’ with yourself because you realize and accept there is no other way if a high goal is set and results expected. (Again Goals set by you and not me!)
- Someone who has absolutely no problem if you prefer to stay with your current coach. You are the major concern as we see it. Wayne maintains that all this can be achieved ONLINE at a far lower cost if attitude and communication are securely in place. (A Mentor is first of all one who counsels, a part of your team).
If you believe you would like to take the next step, email Wayne Click Here and include your personal details with all contact information. Briefly explain why you believe a good Mentor would help you and what you think they should be doing for you.
Do not feel you should provide details of your tennis goals at this time but include them if you wish. Offer as much tennis information as you feel comfortable doing. You may prefer to send this information by post. You may wish to provide a video of you playing or hitting. You may wish to give other background information that you believe important.
VERY IMPORTANT, if you are under the age of 18, have your parents contact me personally before any further action on your part.
We communicate by email, mobile, video emails, sms often, skype and landlines. If, from what you tell me, I believe I can help, I will contact you, your parents first if you are under 18 years.
I will also make contact if I believe I cannot help. Simply fill in the form below and Wayne will contact you by phone to discuss options and answer any questions.